Saturday, October 17, 2020

The Pledge

 I see a pile of things 

And none of them to use.


Though all  could see things on their way,

But everyone has an excuse.


Curious, I asked my mom,

Who is the one who takes this trash away ?

Who cleans our streets, and gets no treats, 

And keeps all the ills at bay?


When nobody does it's them who do,

Not you, not me but its them who threw. 


They call him The Garbage Man, said Mom.

The Garbage man? I wondered. 


I would call him the Man of honour, 

A helping hand,  a hero we all  need to ponder.


He cleans the streets like his own house, 

He takes the litter from our homes.


He puts himself in our harm's way.

And make the areas glow.


Let's do our bit and take a pledge 

To keep our surroundings clean.


Not just for him but for our own sake.

We need to learn to win. 


Let's not have our garbage-strewn away

In streets and all around.


And on seeing the litter 

Let's not hesitate ....

to pick it from the ground.



By

Ranjana Mukherjee 

PRT English

7 comments: