Sunday, April 19, 2020

APPRECIATION


I met Hina last year while I was teaching in Delhi Government Girls school. She was always quiet and calm. She had no friends and never interacted with her teachers. Though she was a regular student, her academic performance did not seem to be up to the mark.  Whenever I saw this girl, somewhere in the corner of my heart, I could feel that there was something which was troubling her. I strongly felt this child had a lot of potential but there was something that was stopping her.

I wanted to know more about her. I talked to her classmates but whatever little they told me did not add much to what I already knew. One fine day, I conducted an activity in my classroom and urged all the girls to participate. They were asked to come and speak about their passion. Meanwhile, I sat on the same last bench she was sitting on. We had an eye contact for once. After a few minutes, I had a paper in my hand on which she had written some beautiful lines which I read and wrote a remark of appreciation with a smiley on the same paper. I could feel the smile on her face but somehow, she managed to hide it.

From that day onwards, we interacted through writing. She told me many things about herself. Slowly, I started figuring out the problem. The problem was that she had a brother who was good academically and was getting all the attention in the family. She was never appreciated for whatever she did and the worst part was that she was often compared with her brother.

I talked to her parents and discussed my concern with them. I requested them to praise her for whatever she did so that we could boost up her confidence. Also, I advised them to stop comparing as it affected her terribly. I am thankful to them that they understood and followed my suggestions.

The result was amazing!!! Hina was now a changed girl. Everybody noticed the changes in her. She spoke, she laughed and I must say she had a beautiful smile. She began participating in the competitions. She improved academically too. I still remember, she once wrote a poem for her teacher and best thing was she recited it too in front of the whole class which literally brought tears to everyone’s eyes. It was heartening to know that Hina’s parents understood the importance of appreciation. The moment they began appreciating, they could see a happy and much confident Hina.
So, it’s important to understand that every child is different. Everyone has some or the other talent. All we need to do is to have a keen observation. Here I am in this new school where we are constantly reminded to be observant. Not that we are not, but reminders from our heads and colleagues keep us on guard. We see great writers, excellent dancers, poised speakers, curious scientists, empathetic caregivers and most important confident learners in our children. We strongly believe that a child must be taught to follow his or her instincts and passion and that given the chance to follow their passion, all could be winners!! And most importantly, instead of comparing we should appreciate them.

I am fortunate enough to be at a place where we believe in promoting the all-round development of our students. We make every effort to make them confident and most importantly happy individuals. 

Being happy is the most important thing.

Appreciate your little ones. Help them follow their passion and be happy!
A little appreciation can make all the difference!!!

Best wishes!

Ms. Smriti Jha

English Teacher


2 comments: